Thursday, January 28, 2016

Holiday Decorating Tips

Holiday Decorating Tips
I am going to be honest with you. Decorating has never been my forte. I'm really good at other stuff, like reading and teaching 12 year olds how to add fractions with unlike denominators... but I have struggled with decorating.
Until this year.
NEWS FLASH. I'm really good at decorating now.
What? How? Well, I'm going to show you some of my festive tips to make your house the cutest lil decorated house on the street... and here's the cool part. ALL YOUR DECORATING WILL BE DONE WITH HOUSEHOLD ITEMS. Say goodbye to your Hobby Lobby, TaiPan, Target days and hello to cheap, simple, and BEAUTIFUL decorating.
To make things more simple, I will split my decorating ideas into 4 categories. Fall, Winter, Spring, & Summer.

SUMMER:
See a previous post, a ThreeThister original:

http://threethistersthings.blogspot.com/2014/07/diy-patriotic-crafty-treat.html

Instead of using these as treats, simply leave them around the house. If you get them slightly wet, you may be able to stick them to walls to hang.

FALL:
*Go outside with a grocery bag and pick up like 28 leaves. Rustle the bag, shake it, stomp on it... and you will get what I like to call leaf fairy dust. Then, my favorite part. Go back inside, turn on some music and sprinkle your leaf fairy dust throughout the house. It will give your house a rustic fall like look and smell.

*Ghosts:

This just happened one day and then I decided to leave it up all Halloween season. All you need is some white towels and knobs of some sort. I staggered my towels a bit to add some variety to my ghosts. The fun part of this decoration is how interactive it is.. depending on everyone's shower schedules and my laundry, some days I had a family of like 5 ghosts... and other days there would be just 1 lonely ghost hanging in the hallway. It was just so fun to make up little stories of what the ghosts were doing when they were there/weren't there.








WINTER:
*Snowman






Love, love, love this idea. All you need is TP and a sock. Preferably a fuzzy colorful sock, but don't stress if you just have a boring hanes sock, that works too.



The tricky part with this particular decoration is getting 3 toilet paper rolls with differing diameters. You may have to call a family counsel a week prior to setting up this decoration to discuss varying their TP roll usage. (Sorry TMI, but I'd rather do this than spend $4 on some acrylic snowman at TaiPan).


Once you have 3 differing TP rolls (small, medium, large) Go ahead and stack them on top of each other. I guess you could just leave it like that, but if you want to go the extra mile (I'm like that... a lot of people call me "over achiever golden girl") you can draw a face on the top roll and put a sock in the top to make your snowman come to life.




















SPRING:
To unlock this part of the post, make sure to share this link with all of your Facebook friends, become a Beach Body Coach, AND find/take some FB quiz that will determine some vital piece of knowledge to the success of your future. (i.e. which Disney princess are you....what's your IQ... how good be your grammar...etc) Once you have done these three things, stand up, clap thrice, and chant "Three Thisters" until a code pops up on your computer screen.

Type code here:      



Happy Decorating!!!                        

3 comments:

  1. This is soooooo hilarious! I'm sad I'm just seeing this now, but I guess I'm just in time to use your ghost decorating tip. Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, if I can't become a Beach Body coach, can I sell Lipsense instead and still get the code?

    ReplyDelete