Monday, May 13, 2013

Zebra Tray

I was feeling very crafty one day, my hands were just itching to make something. Since crafting is kind of expensive, I decided to use some resources I already had. I had some black spray paint leftover from a different project and done a few months ago and a pretty little tray that I keep on our automan to hold remotes, the Ensign magazine, etc. I purchased the little tray at Ross a few months ago. It has been serving it's purpose faithfully, helping us to keep track of our remotes and hold empty cereal bowls and cups until they are put in the dishwasher. I have really liked the tray except for one thing, it was all black except for the bottom which was zebra striped. Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against zebras (in fact, I like them very much) but I didn't feel the need to have something zebra striped in my family room. So, I figured, spray paint it black! Heck yes!
Heck no.
I spray painted it outside and left it out to dry. When I thought it was dry I brought it back inside. I placed it in it's regular place and set the remotes and magazine on it. It looked GREAT. The only problem was when I went to take a remote and the magazine off of it. Some of the black paint may have peeled off onto the remote and half of the back cover of the magazine may or may not have stayed on the tray.
I thought it might just need a little extra time to dry, so I gave it PLENTY of time. The problem is, it is still extremely sticky and things don't hesitate to stick to it.
See the flower-type thing in the back? That's where the spray paint was used originally.
See that white mark? The big one. That's a piece of the back cover of the magazine.
It is currently in our back room until I figure out something to do with it. (I'm thinking maybe some modge podge will help?) So, now instead of our ex-zebra tray holding our remotes and magazine on the automan, it is the checkerboard my husband made in his 9th grade shop class.
The 9th grade project

No comments:

Post a Comment